Chelsea transfer news and rumours: Summer transfer window 2022

17 Aug 2022 | 08:40 | Football


Wrapping up the Chelsea transfer news, rumours and gossip in the 2022 summer window.

Kounde joins Sevilla’s pre-season tour as Chelsea talks continue

, Turin, United Kingdom: Turin, Italy, 7th October 2021. Jules Kounde of France during the UEFA Nations League match at Juventus Stadium, Turin. Picture credit should read: Jonathan Moscrop / Sportimage(Credit Image: © Jonathan Moscrop/CSM via ZUMA Wire) (Cal Sport Media via AP Images)
Image:
Sevilla defender Jules Kounde is a Chelsea target this summer

Jules Kounde has belatedly joined up with Sevilla’s pre-season training camp in Portugal as Chelsea remain confident of completing a deal for the defender despite interest from Barcelona.

The player was initially left out of the group, but the Frenchman has now decided to join the group.

Chelsea have had a verbal agreement with Kounde since June. The 23-year-old has been admired by Tuchel for some time, having been linked with the Blues in last summer’s transfer window.

‘Kounde closer to joining Barca than Chelsea’

Spanish football expert Alvaro Montero on Sky Sports News:

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Spanish football journalist Alvaro Montero says Sevilla defender Jules Kounde is now closer to joining Barcelona than Chelsea.

“After signing Christensen, Lewandowski, Kessie, Raphinha, target number one is a player for the defence, that is what FC Barcelona want and need.

“We have been speaking in the last few days about Pau Torres, Inigo Martinez and Cesar Azpilicueta, but if you ask me, I would say Jules Kounde is target No 1 for sure.

“After that, two days ago the player refused to go with Sevilla to the south of Portugal because he wanted to wait, but after that, he decided to go and prepare with his team-mates.

“It is said and it is true that there was an agreement between Sevilla and Chelsea for around 75 million euros, but inside FC Barcelona they think the player wants to play for them and it is said in Barcelona that the player is waiting.

“So on Friday morning, 24 hours ago, this situation was quite tricky for FC Barcelona as they thought the player would not be able to absorb this pressure and he was going to sign for Chelsea.

“But now, in the last few hours, it is even closer than before and now I would say he is closer to signing for FC Barcelona than he is for Chelsea, but it is going to depend on the agreement between the club and the player.

“But inside FC Barcelona, they believe Jules Kounde wants to play for them.”

Tuchel ‘a bit’ annoyed with Barca over Azpilicueta pursuit

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel admits he is a “little bit” annoyed with Barcelona over their pursuit of Cesar Azpilicueta.

The 32-year-old has 12 months remaining on his Chelsea contract and has reportedly asked to leave the club after a decade at Stamford Bridge to return to his native Spain with Barcelona.

But Tuchel says he is not sure if he wants to give Azpilicueta “what he wants”, and believes Barca have undervalued the defender, comparing his value to that of recent Chelsea capture Kalidou Koulibaly, who signed for £33m from Napoli earlier this month.

When asked at the Universal Orlando Resort, if he has been annoyed by the Spanish giants’ pursuit of Azpilicueta, Tuchel replied: “Maybe a little bit.”

Tuchel expects Broja to stay

Thomas Tuchel has played down talk that Armando Broja is set to leave Chelsea on loan this summer.

Broja excelled during a loan spell last season at Southampton but the indications are he will form part of Tuchel’s plans this term.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

With West Ham in advanced talks with Chelsea’s Armando Broja, take a look at all of his goals from his season on loan with Southampton

“I don’t expect him to leave,” Tuchel continued. “I’m aware of the offers and aware of the interest. We will make a decision together, the owner and me and the player.

“When he arrived it was clear he is trying to impress and become a Chelsea player.”

Chelsea sign Koulibaly from Napoli

Chelsea have completed a deal to sign Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly for a fee in the region of £33m.

The central defender, who has 62 caps for Senegal, has signed a four-year contract worth around £160,000 per week (£8.2m a year) net plus bonuses to move to Stamford Bridge.

He flew out to Las Vegas on Friday to join up with his new team-mates on their pre-season tour of USA.

Ake ‘to remain at Man City’ amid Chelsea interest

Manchester City defender Nathan Ake is reportedly to remain at the club this summer as Chelsea suffered another blow to their hopes of defensive reinforcements.

The Athletic‘s David Ornstein claims City were never intending to sell the Netherlands international unless his valuation was met.

The player is said to be pleased to be remaining with the Premier League champions with his versatility deemed to be crucial to his status as an important member of Pep Guardiola’s first-team squad.

The Athletic say Chelsea’s interest was never substantiated by an offer that suited City.

The report also claims that Chelsea will turn their attentions to PSG centre-back Presnel Kimpembe with the two clubs in talks.

Gallagher sees Chelsea breakthrough after ‘nice’ Tuchel call

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Conor Gallagher has scored eight goals and earned a call-up to the senior England squad in his loan season at Crystal Palace.

Midfielder Conor Gallagher is aiming to be a key player for Premier League side Chelsea after being assured of a place in manager Thomas Tuchel’s plans.

Gallagher, who played for Crystal Palace on loan last season, has yet to play a game for Chelsea, fanning speculation about the 22-year-old’s future.

“(Tuchel) said he wants me to be part of the squad and to prove myself in pre-season, so that’s the plan,” Gallagher told the BBC.

“It’s what I wanted to hear, it was a nice phone call that we had and it gave me a clear plan of pre-season and where I’m going to be. It was great to hear.”

Gallagher, who has earned four caps for England and made his debut against San Marino last year, was a pillar of Patrick Vieira’s Palace last season, scoring eight goals in 38 games to be named Player of the Season by the team’s supporters. Gallagher’s Chelsea contract runs to 2025.

“Everyone wants to play as much as they can, but I’m willing to work as hard as I can to be on the pitch as much as possible,” he said.

“There are world class players in the squad and it’s obviously a tough team to get into but I feel like if that challenge is there, I think I’d be a bit silly not to take it.”

Chelsea complete £47.5m Sterling deal

Raheem Sterling has completed his move to Chelsea from Manchester City in a deal worth £47.5m.

The 27-year-old has signed a five-year contract at Stamford Bridge with the option of a further 12 months and has linked up with Thomas Tuchel’s squad on their pre-season tour of the United States.

Lukaku re-joins Inter Milan on season-long loan

Romelu Lukaku is officially an Inter Milan player again after completing his season-long loan move from Chelsea, with no obligation to buy.

Inter will pay Chelsea a loan fee of £6.9m plus £3.5m in bonuses if they win the Scudetto, and will cover all his wages this season.

Lukaku has agreed to a 30-per-cent pay cut to smooth his exit, with his earnings set to drop from £10m per year after tax to £7m.

AC Milan confident of striking Ziyech deal

Hakim Ziyech is under contract at Chelsea until 2025
Image:
Hakim Ziyech is under contract at Chelsea until 2025

AC Milan are confident they will be able to finalise a deal to sign Chelsea winger Hakim Ziyech this summer, according to Sky in Italy.

New contact has been made between the two clubs with Milan keen to make their first addition to this season’s squad.

Ziyech has been with Chelsea since February 2020 when he moved to London from Ajax for £33.3m.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sky Sports’ senior reporter Melissa Reddy reveals all on Michael Edwards – the man who was instrumental in Liverpool’s recent transfer success and who could now be on his way to Chelsea

What should we expect from Chelsea this summer?

Michael Edwards, the architect of Liverpool’s recent successes in the transfer market, is among the options being considered by Chelsea to become their new sporting director (The Times, June 22).

Chelsea could be in line for a busy transfer window as Thomas Tuchel eyes a summer clear-out following the completion of the club’s takeover (Daily Mirror, June 10).

New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly was permitted to hold back more than £100m from his purchase of the club amid concerns they will be hit with costs over liabilities from the Roman Abramovich era (Daily Telegraph, June 9).

Seven Chelsea players could find a new club during the transfer window to earn head coach Thomas Tuchel a £170m windfall. (Daily Mirror, June 6).

Who have Chelsea been linked with?

Jules Kounde – Kounde is set to complete his U-turn and sign for Barcelona in a £51m deal that shatters Chelsea’s long-standing hopes of bringing him to the Premier League (The Sun, July 25); Barcelona are expected to make their bid for Sevilla defender Jules Kounde on Monday after the Chelsea target indicated he would be willing to accept their terms (Daily Mail, July 25); Sevilla maintain they have yet to receive an offer from Barcelona for Chelsea target Jules Kounde as the transfer saga comes to a head (Mail on Sunday, July 24); Kounde has sensationally rejected Chelsea’s proposal and is ‘closer than ever’ to joining Barcelona from Sevilla, according to reports in Spain (Sunday Express, July 24). Kounde is set to become Chelsea’s third summer signing after the Blues beat off competition from Barcelona to agree a £55m deal for the Sevilla defender and have offered the Frenchman a five-year contract (Daily Telegraph, July 23); Chelsea are expected to sign the Sevilla central defender for a fee of about £55m (The Times, July 23); Chelsea look to have beaten off competition from Barcelona to sign Kounde after they agreed to pay Sevilla in the region of £55m and have offered the defender a five-year contract (The Telegraph, July 22).

Frenkie de Jong – De Jong has been told he will need to take a pay cut to stay at Barcelona and it appears, according to reports in Spain, that he is open to doing so (Daily Express, July 25); Chelsea have reportedly been informed by Barcelona in private talks that they can pip Manchester United to a deal for Frenkie de Jong (Daily Express, July 22); Barcelona star De Jong is open to joining Chelsea this summer, according to reports in Spain (Daily Express, July 21); De Jong has no interest in joining Manchester United because he dislikes the city and believes the club is run erratically, a new report in Spain has claimed (Daily Mail, July 21); New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly had dinner with Barcelona chief Joan Laporta, with £63m De Jong on the menu (Daily Mirror, July 9).

Allan Saint-Maximin – Chelsea and Tottenham both want Newcastle United winger Allan Saint-Maximin but are being put off by his £40m price tag (The Sun, July 25).

Presenel Kimpembe – Chelsea target Presnel Kimpembe has asked Paris Saint-Germain to allow him to explore his options amid significant interest from Juventus (The Sun, July 25); Chelsea have made a £40m offer for Paris Saint-Germain defender Presenel Kimpembe and are back in talks with Sevilla over Jules Kounde (Daily Mail, July 18).

Endrick – Manchester United and Chelsea are reportedly set to enter a transfer battle for 15-year-old Brazilian wonder-kid Endrick (The Sun, July 19).

Serge Gnabry – Serge Gnabry is set to snub a number of Premier League suitors by signing a new contract with Bayern Munich (Daily Mail, July 14); Chelsea are interested in former Arsenal winger Serge Gnabry as the club consider potential alternatives to Raphinha and hold talks with AC Milan over a deal to offload Hakim Ziyech (Daily Mail, July 12).

Guido Rodriguez – Chelsea have reportedly identified Real Betis midfielder Guido Rodriguez as a potential replacement for N’Golo Kante, who has been linked with a move to Arsenal in recent weeks (Daily Express, July 12)

Declan Rice – Declan Rice reportedly has a gentleman’s agreement with West Ham to stay for ONE more season amid serious transfer interest from Chelsea (The Sun, July 12)

Nathan Ake – Man City want more than £50m to let Ake return to Chelsea (The Sun, July 9); Chelsea are in advanced talks with City over a deal to bring central defender Ake back to the club (The Times, July 8); Talks are continuing regarding a return to Stamford Bridge for Ake from City (Daily Telegraph, July 1); City will tell rivals Chelsea to forget about re-signing centre-back Ake on the cheap this summer (The Sun, July 1)

Nathan Ake celebrates putting Man City 2-0 up (AP)
Image:
Chelsea reportedly want to bring back Nathan Ake to Stamford Bridge

Matheus Nunes – Chelsea are ready to make their first signing of the summer by pressing ahead with a €50m offer for Sporting Lisbon’s Nunes (Daily Mail, July 6)

Cristiano Ronaldo – Chelsea are no longer interested in signing Cristiano Ronaldo after talks between Thomas Tuchel and Todd Boehly (The Times, July 15); Thomas Tuchel will get the final say on whether Chelsea complete a blockbuster transfer for Cristiano Ronaldo, according to reports (Daily Express, July 6); Chelsea are considering a move for Ronaldo, but it remains to be seen whether Thomas Tuchel is keen on signing the forward. (The Guardian, July 5).

Mohamed Salah – Salah was prepared to move to Chelsea before his new deal made him the highest-paid player in Liverpool history (Sun on Sunday, July 3).

Neymar – Thiago Silva insists PSG forward Neymar ‘has to’ join him at Chelsea (The Sun, June 29); Chelsea are favourites to sign Brazilian superstar Neymar (The Sun, June 23).

Yannick Carrasco – Manchester United, Chelsea and Tottenham are exploring the prospect of signing Atletico Madrid star Carrasco this summer after his release clause emerged, according to reports in Spain (Daily Mirror, June 23).

Christopher Nkunku – Nkunku has signed a new four-year deal at RB Leipzig – that includes a £51.6m release clause – despite reported interest from Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United (June 23).

Allan Saint-Maximin – Newcastle could have to sell their prized asset Saint-Maximin in a bid to raise funds and offset their spending – with the Magpies struggling to offer the frustrated Frenchman a greater wage, leaving Premier League rivals such as Tottenham and Chelsea on alert (Daily Mail, June 22).

Gabriel Slonina – Chelsea’s £10m deal to sign the Chicago Fire ‘keeper has gone quiet since the departures of Petr Cech and Marina Granovskaia (Daily Express, July 7).

The latest players linked with a Chelsea exit

Romelu Lukaku – Chelsea have an agreement in principle for Romelu Lukaku to spend a second year on loan with Inter Milan (The Sun, July 24).

Cesar Azpilicueta – Thomas Tuchel said he understands César Azpilicueta’s desire to join Barcelona, but added that Chelsea will not allow the defender to leave for a cut-price fee (The Observer, July 24). Chelsea are demanding a fee of £7m to sell Azpilicueta to Barcelona, according to reports (The Sun, July 11).

Hakim Ziyech – AC Milan have reportedly reopened talks with Chelsea over a transfer for Hakim Ziyech (The Sun on Sunday, July 24). Chelsea expect to agree a deal with AC Milan for winger Ziyech, but Christian Pulisic is in no rush to leave after being discussed as a makeweight in the bid for Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt (Daily Mail, July 4); Milan are confident they will be able to finalise a deal to sign the Chelsea winger this summer (Sky in Italy, July 2).

Numerous – Thomas Tuchel could be stuck with several unwanted players for the 2022/23 campaign as top-flight clubs are reluctant to strike a deal with the Premier League giants for their out-of-form stars. The German manager is said to be looking to offload Michy Batshuayi, Kenedy, Malang Sarr, Ross Barkley, Timo Werner and Kepa during the summer transfer window but there has been little interest in the Chelsea flops so far (Daily Telegraph, July 22).

Timo Werner – Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel has admitted that he is struggling to understand Timo Werner’s recent suggestion that he would be happy to switch clubs in the not-too-distant future (Daily Express, July 22). Werner has hinted that his future may lie away from Chelsea (Daily Mail, July 19).

Armando Broja – Thomas Tuchel has played down talk that Broja is set to leave Chelsea on loan this summer, despite interest from Newcastle and West Ham (Sky Sports News, July 20); Newcastle are interested in signing the Chelsea striker this summer and have discussed him as a potential loan signing (Sky Sports News, July 3); West Ham are set to bid in the region of £30m for Chelsea striker Broja (Sky Sports News, June 20).

Ross Barkley – Chelsea are looking to get rid of Ross Barkley ahead of the fast-approaching season (Daily Mirror, July 19).

Billy Gilmour – Gilmour is set for another loan spell away from Chelsea after being released from the first team’s pre-season training squad, with former manager Frank Lampard said to be interested in bringing him on board at Everton (Daily Mail, July 19).

Kepa Arrizabalaga – Napoli have asked about taking Chelsea ‘keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga on loan (Daily Mail, July 18).

Levi Colwill – Crystal Palace are prepared to rival Leicester City and Southampton for Chelsea defender Levi Colwill (Daily Mail, July 15); Leicester City want to sign Chelsea’s young defender Levi Colwill this summer but would like to offload Jannik Vestergaard before making their move (Daily Mail, July 14); Chelsea are no closer to deciding on the futures – short or long-term – of youngsters Colwill and Armando Broja, who both have multiple clubs interested in loan and permanent deals (Daily Mail, July 9).

Jorginho – Chelsea star Jorginho has cast doubt over his future, despite expressing his love for the club (The Sun, July 13).

Reece James – Chelsea are set to open talks with James over a new contract amid interest in the England defender from Real Madrid and Man City (The Sun, July 8).

Marcos Alonso – Alonso is considering handing in a transfer request as Chelsea continue to block the move he wants to Barcelona (Daily Express, July 7)

Emerson Palmieri – Lazio are reportedly set to open talks with Chelsea over a move for Emerson (The Sun, June 23).

Confirmed Chelsea signings

Raheem Sterling – Man City, £47.5m

Kalidou Koulibaly – Napoli, £33m

Omari Hutchinson – Arsenal, free

Confirmed Chelsea departures

Antonio Rudiger – Real Madrid, free

Andreas Christensen Barcelona, free

Danny Drinkwater released

Charly Musonda released

Jake Clarke-Salter QPR, free

Lucas Bergstrom – Peterborough, loan

Sam McClelland – Barrow, loan

Romelu Lukaku – Inter, loan

Nathan Baxter – Hull, loan

Jamie Cumming – MK Dons, loan

Ian Maatsen – Burnley, loan

Tino Anjorin – Huddersfield, loan

Follow the summer transfer window with Sky Sports

Who will be on the move this summer when the transfer window opens on June 10 and closes at 11pm on September 1?

Keep up-to-date with all the latest transfer news and rumours in our dedicated Transfer Centre blog on Sky Sports’ digital platforms. You can also catch up with the ins, outs and analysis on Sky Sports News.





Source link

szsgsport